[dmd-beta] Well, I keep trying to do the release

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 14:51:02 PDT 2012

On Aug 3, 2012, at 3:00 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 12:39:18 -0400
> Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 2, 2012, at 9:33 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> But, as it is with git itself, it's best not to use [github] with
>>> Windows or any Windows programs.
>>
>> Firefox is a windows program, no?
>>

> GitHub is only barely/partially usable in my copy of FF...(Although
> that's probably not so much the fact that it's FF as which version of
> FF and how its configured...)

Mine works great!  I wouldn't expect support if you don't use a later version, or one that is crippled.

BTW, I used to have two profiles for firefox, one that disabled flash, and one that had it enabled.  I was sick of stupid web video ads that I didn't care about slowing my system down, so whenever I actually wanted to watch a video, I would start up firefox in the other profile.  It was clunky, but it got the job done.

>> I suppose it's not really the same, since visual source safe doesn't
>> come with Windows, but still... you went through the trouble of
>> installing git, why wouldn't you consider installing another browser
>> just for github access?
>
> Ick, why should GitHub expect people to do that? A person has already
> made their choice of browser. GitHub has no business expecting them to
> use GitHub with *GitHub's* choice of browser. It's a web browser, it
> should just fucking work.

I don't think you realized the irony of the last sentence there :)

Anyway, I don't think github is built using non-standard extensions to anything, it's just that IE really sucks at adhering to standards.

Every browser has its quirks, you can't expect a company to support them all  including all historic versions of them.  While I think there is a huge business case for supporting IE, since it's a very popular browser, it is truly a pain in the ass to support.  Yeah, I'm sure you don't agree because "CSS sucks", but that's just the way it is.  If you simply accepted this, you may find yourself being a bit less grumpy :)

-Steve