[dmd-beta] Looks like it's time for a beta!

Jesse Phillips jesse.k.phillips at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 07:36:00 PST 2013

Ok, but can this be done as a transition to the new release structure.
I know the wiki is still a long list of details and won't be a
straight forward, "I'm going to ... where do I find that." But I think
we'll need you to handle a little bumpy release while we clearly lay
this out.

http://wiki.dlang.org/Release_Process

To make the transition I need to set the expectation of this beta. Do
not expect it to be released in the next two weeks or month. The new
process we are to run a beta until 'master' has reached another state
when you feel "Time for another Beta." (which should be about every 2
months). If we were in the process we'd be releasing what was in
'staging,' but we haven't got there yet.

Now, merge 'master' into 'staging' and fix all regressions against 'staging.'

http://wiki.dlang.org/Release_Process#Preparing_a_new_major_release

So these steps are written in the order we'll do them this time, but
not exactly what it will look like the next time.