[dmd-beta] Preparation for 2.65

Andrew Edwards edwards.ac at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 12:50:33 PST 2014

On 1/9/14, 7:24 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Rather than trying to fix the 2.065 branch, perhaps we should simply
> abandon it and go with 2.066?

I'm not against that. There are a couple of commits that I think were
injected directly into the 2.065 branch that may need to be merged into
master but other than that I don't see any issues. As Martin alluded to
though, it is necessary to provide more attention to the
fixes--specifically regressions--necessary to the getting the release
out the door. No doubt they would be simpler to identify if they were
air-marked for that branch instead of master, but that requires everyone
to embrace the methodology outlined in [1].

Once the branch is prepared:
     a. implementation of new features should cease
     b. pull request for fixes should be made against and merged with
the branch
     c. merger of pulls made against master should be suspended
     d. attention given to outstanding regressions
     e. upon resolution of final regression, the tag is created and the
beta built and released

This would make for a much smoother release process than what we have
going on right now. It's unacceptable to wait 20+ days for to merge
pulls air-marked for the current release cycle, which is what's happening.

1) http://wiki.dlang.org/Development_and_Release_Process