[D-runtime] Time for druntime for Linux64 to default to a shared lib

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Wed Mar 13 12:13:21 PDT 2013

On 3/13/2013 11:32 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> While I can see where you're coming from, let's not rush things. We need to
> make _at least_ one release with shared library support that has to be
> selected explicitly with a -shared flag. We cannot just disrupt everyone by
> throwing shared libraries at them with no prior warning or testing having
> happened.

I can pretty much guarantee that if we don't make shared druntime the default,
nobody is going to use it, and it will not work.

For example, while Martin had made all these shared library changes, as far as I
can tell:

1. nobody even tried to make druntime.so

2. even after I checked in the makefile changes to build druntime.so, nobody
tried to run the test suite on it

3. at least for 32 bit druntime.so, any program built with it promptly crashes.
Nobody noticed this, so I am pretty sure nobody has tried it. (llmath is the
culprit, I have a pull request in to fix that)

There are also significant problems with trying to ship the current scheme *and*
the dll scheme. The libraries are built differently, the dmd.conf is different,
etc. It's a problem, and I don't see a convenient solution for coexistence. If
there is a way to statically bind druntime.so as Martin suggested, that could be
the solution, but it is still having druntime.so being the default.

It's early in this cycle, so it's the best time to do it.