D being talked about at gcc.gnu.org

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Tue Apr 18 06:18:57 PDT 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:36:07 -0800, Brad Roberts wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, clayasaurus wrote:
>
>> I wonder if anyone has ever seen this link? Sorry if it has been brought up
>> before.
>>
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-11/msg00541.html
>
> Yup.. subject has been brought up several times.  The problem is to be
> integrated into the official gnu gcc source tree copyright has to be
> signed over to the fsf.  That's a showstopper, unfortunatly.  IMHO, that's
> a draconian policy, but it's RMS's right to set those policies for
> software under the FSF umbrella no matter how much I think it hurts/sucks.
>
> Thankfully, building GDC out of tree like it is today is very very easy.

Yet it would be nice if it would be more easy to start using the compiler.
Building it is for a lot programmers not really an option. Well, it should
be but I guess most programmers are simply lazy.

I'm planning to build packages for GDC on Fedora and Debian. Not that I
know a lot about packaging. It would be, however, very useful to have a
build procedure or package management or apt or yum source for GDC.

Perhaps I can convince people like Dag Wieers to host such a package on
his repositories? I'll talk to Dag about it. I was thinking about creating
a new .spec file (rather than patching for example the gcc4.spec file of
for example Fedora).

Anyway, I don't know when I'll finish this nor if I will succeed or
whatever. I'm not really into packaging, it's just an itch I want to
scratch.

But if somebody wants to help or maybe if somebody already did such a
package, tell me ;-)

--
Philip Van Hoof