central package repository (Re: D being talked about at gcc.gnu.org (RPM))

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Thu Apr 20 03:27:01 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 11:58 +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> But it depends on how many variations we want to be hosting ?
> For the Mac I am currently hosting three PPC variants, and one
> "Universal" X86/PPC build (that is 3 times the size of the others,
> since it targets all of two runtime arches and two target arches)
>
> I'm also hosting the installer packages (PKG for the Mac, RPM, EXE)
> as well as plain ZIP files for people who distrust the installers...
> Another factor is how many versions back/forward we're planning on ?
> And coupled with the number of Linux distros,  it quickly adds up :-)

Well, if the total repository gets to big I would have to buy an extra
harddisk which would also consume a slot in our 1u hardware. So in that
case it's not possible for me to keep such a service free.

Also note that our disk setup is a RAID 1 so each megabytes counts for
two in harddisk price ;-). Another problem is that our hardware has two
SATA controllers of which only one is supported in the Xen 3.0 host
kernel. That one is of course occupied. So we'd have to migrate to a
newer kernel. This is something I'd rather avoid doing :-). But we have
another server (that doesn't have virtualization possibilities) where we
could host a normal Apache2 website. This device has a more easy
hardware setup.

So, basically ... a few 100 megabytes isn't a big problem. When talking
about a few gigabytes it becomes a problem.

Our bandwidth should be good. You can test it by downloading that tar.gz
of 30 MB ;-). My own web domain is hosted by one such virtual machine.

> All the Mac files are at: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gdcmac/

> > They are reusable for Ubuntu, indeed. But for example Dapper is already
> > using gcc 4.1.x as default compiler, which afaik doesn't work with gdc
> > at this moment. Same for Fedora Core 5.
>
> That is indeed a problem. Maybe a standalone version is required there ?

You can of course install multiple compilers on distributions like
Dapper and Fedora Core 5. A gdc package could integrate with a specific
gcc version, and could depend on that gcc version.