Supported architectures for D

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 01:57:34 PDT 2006

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 01:38:51 -0700, Chad J
<gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com> wrote:

> Wim Vander Schelden wrote:
>> I have noticed strange thing just below the surface of my screen as
>> well, they look like bubbles, and I have noticed the screens surface is
>> very easily damaged (scratches etc) so lets just hope it doesn't break
>> just yet. As for the responsiveness of palm os, sure, if you use it for
>> its calendar and things like that it may be responsive, but once you
>> use its wifi things go wrong :) I never used WM5, but WM2k3 worked
>> nicely for me, albeit it often crashed. A friend of mine owned a Dell
>> x50v, and it was bulky, power hungry and the UI was dog ugly, way worse
>> than the simple WM2k3. Why didn't they just stick their Windows XP
>> teletubbie skin (green-blue and a wallpaper of a hill that looks like
>> its a screenshot from teletubbieland) on it to make the torment
>> complete?
>> That said, he API for software development is awful on a palm, its
>> something that should have been flagged "deprecated" a few decades ago.
>> Thank god their switching to linux :)
>>  /End of off-topic slandering of all PDA OS'es
>>  - Wim
>>

> So a Dell x50v with WM2k3 would be a decent choice (I'm thinking of
> getting one)?  I want the 480x640 res, and I want to be able to run my D
> programs on it :)
>
> Yeah the palm API... this is why I am working on a WinCE port and not a
> Palm port, and why I'm willing to give ARM-linux a shot but I'm not
> going to touch palm until the game I want to write is completed.  It
> seems like a lot of extra work in Phobos making everything work with
> palm, when they might just switch to linux soon.

It's true, Palm just isn't a choice.  While I liked it's responsiveness
and simple user interface, I agree with Wim that the programming interface
was an embarassment: it was rediculously outdated and horribly handicapped
despite new technology.  You couldn't take advantage of the 32-bit ARM
without serious duct tape.  Neither could you program outside of 64K
(32K?) because you were basically working within the old Motorola emulator
limitations.  I don't mind seeing a linux replacement on Palm... but Palm
has lost no matter what they do now. It's a joke.  I doubt they can
recover from their fall seeing that there are already several linux PDA
alternatives out there now.  Furhermore the PDA craze seems to already be
fading.

I don't like the WinCE programming interface either, which amounts to
win32 programming, but I certainly wouldn't mind programming on it if D
were available there.

-JJR