Compiler relocation with MinGW [Re: r50 mingw32 doesn't work]

David Friedman dvdfrdmn at users.ess-eff.net
Mon Dec 11 03:20:12 PST 2006

I think I finally figured out this whole MinGW relocation thing...

If you want gdc (or g++) to work correctly, you have to configure with a
prefix that does not get translated by MSYS.  One way to do this is to
use a real Win32 path.  For example, "configure --prefix=c:/gdc"

This builds a working compiler that can also be relocated to another
directory.  However, it is inconvenient for making packages (via "make
install DESTDIR=...").  To build with a prefix that starts with '/', do
the following:

Assuming the prefix you want is "/gdc"...

1. Add the following line to C:/msys/1.0/etc/fstab:

	/gdc		/gdc

    Note that a real /gdc directory need not exist.  If it does exist, it
    will not be directly accessible after making this change.

2. Quit all MSYS shells.

3. Start a new MSYS shell.  Verify that the fstab change as taken affect
by running "cmd //c echo /gdc".  The output should be "/gdc".

4. You can now configure and build GCC with --prefix=/gdc.  Note that
you cannot simply install with "make install" now (unless you revert the
fstab change.)  You have to use "make DESTDIR=/some/other/place install"

David