Suggest you should add link to prebuilt Win binaries from http://dgcc.sourceforge.net/ page.

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Jun 15 00:31:36 PDT 2006

Andrei Khropov wrote:

> Suggest a link should be added from http://dgcc.sourceforge.net/
> to the prebuilt Win MinGW binaries (http://gdcwin.sourceforge.net/)
> (analogously to gdcmac link).

Sure, that couldn't hurt... The binaries seem to be working for most
people, or perhaps they are just too shy to file bug reports ? :-)

In case you wonder what the difference between dgcc/gdcmac/gdcwin is,
the way that I had envisioned them is something like the following:

"dgcc" is the project where the actual GDC development happens.
It's the place to send patches, feature requests, and so on.
(the source code tarballs are taken from here for all projects)

"gdcmac" is a build for Mac OS X (10.3+) that uses whatever weird
version of GCC and patches for it that Apple Xcode happens to use.
(currently this is GCC 3.3.6 for Panther and GCC 4.0.1 for Tiger)

"gdcwin" is a build for Windows (2K,XP+) that uses whatever weird
version of GCC and patches for it that MinGW/MSYS currently uses.
(currently either of GCC 3.4.2-20040916-1 or GCC 3.4.5-20060117-1)

I think we should also add more "vanilla" binaries of GCC and GDC
that you can use for Linux, Darwin (Mac OS X)and Cygwin (Windows)
without requiring other development systems to be installed first ?

That way it would match what Digital Mars offers with DMC and DMD
and could be used as a stand-alone compiler suite (with C, C++, D)
I suggest building it with a "/opt/gnu" prefix that works on all:
	../configure --prefix=/opt/gnu --enable-languages=c,d,c++
and then you do a PATH="/opt/gnu/bin:$PATH" in order to use it...

Those straight-forward builds could be added to the "dgcc" project.

--anders