GNU version 0.18

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 24 18:37:57 PST 2006

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Jim Miller wrote:

> I'm trying to find the gdc-0.18 alpha1 that was supposedly released some
> time ago.  Is this still available?  I'm trying to figure out the best way
> that I can help move gdc forward but want to start from the "latest"
> sources.  I've looked at the D Bugzilla site for some ideas on what I can
> start on.  I'm not particularly familiar with the internals of gcc so I'm
> not sure how much I can help in that area but I'm very willing to write
> documentation or help clean up libraries if someone wants to make a
> suggestion on where I should start.

I don't recommend working on the gdc front end.  David, the gdc guy, has
been working on getting a new release ready.  The 0.18 alpha 1 release I
did is available if you want to play with it, but David's release won't be
based on it, so I'm not sure what value it has.  I've stopped working on
it and won't be making any sort of official gdc release based off of it at
this point.  Once a new gdc release is done that's caught up, then more
input on it might be of value.  Anything you find wrong with the current
release, based on dmd 0.140, is so far out of date that I'm not sure how
useful it is.

Are you interested in working on the d compiler itself or on libraries
that people use to support their applications?  IMHO, the latter is where
d needs the most help.  Looking at projects like ares or mango would be
good, though I haven't looked at either yet.

That help?

Later,
Brad