Could we have support for D in upcomming Fedora's gcc RPM?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu May 10 23:55:59 PDT 2007

Dejan Lekic wrote:

> Anders, what I would like to have is a replacement of the Fedora's
> GCC RPM with D language enabled. It would probably be in the gcc-d
> RPM package...

I had my packages build two: one gdc that was self-contained, and one
gcc-d package that matched the gcc-c++ in that it added to the gcc RPM.
(same software, just different packaging, between the two subpackages)

I usually keep my system "gcc" package installed either way, then maybe
mix it with a "gcc-d" built for the same version of GCC and hope for the
best. (This is what we used to do for Mac OS X, before it was supported)

Or I install the offical "gdc" version, usually helps when bugreporting.

> I dared not to build GCC manually, and replace system's GCC with new
> one - have you tried it? - If the system is still stable I will most
> likely do that, and when I have enough time I'll go into hacking the
> original, Fedora's SPEC file and include support for making a GCC-D
> package... I have already tried it, but did not put lot of effort in
> it - there are ~50 patches in that RPM and some D patches collide
> with those in Fedora's GCC package...

Yes, that's why I didn't use the Fedora-patched system compiler either.
The Ubuntu system compiler is even more fun, think I counted 10k lines
of scripts and patches in the package manager additions for GCC there.

> Sure, if I succeed I'll send a post here. :D Cheers!

My old complex and evolutionized RPM spec:
http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/gdc.spec (builds a complete GCC)

The new (less complex) RPM spec lives at:
http://gdcgnu.sourceforge.net/SPECS/gdc.spec (only does GDC)

--anders