Mac OS X 10.5

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Oct 30 02:20:08 PDT 2007

Carlos Santander wrote:

>> Why are you using the FSF GCC, rather than the Apple GCC ?
>
> I guess I'm used to it, I find it easier to use, and I get to use the
> same steps when I build on Ubuntu. Plus,
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/ doesn't show Leopard yet.

Right, Xcode 2.4.1 and 3.0 has not been released (yet?).

I used FSF GCC 3.3.x on Panther, but eventually gave up
on FSF GCC 4.x.y with Tiger since it didn't really work.

But having both available would be great, so keep it up! :-)

> I guess I should've asked: what are the differences between the two
> GCCs? What benefits does the Apple version provide? I guess it fits
> better with the OS, or something like that, but I'd like to know specifics.

Some of it is language support (Objective-C++ for Tiger
and Objective-C 2.0 for Leopard), it also has more support
for old operating systems quirks - both Mac OS and NeXTstep.
And not sure if FSF GCC supports the SDKs and -isysroot yet ?

There's a lot of changes, the diff between them is now huge...

--anders