Getting gdc working with xcode 3.1

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Sep 20 06:31:24 PDT 2008

On 2008-09-20 06:38:54 -0400, Jacob Carlborg <doobnet at gmail.com> said:

>> 13:57 -0400, Jacob Carlborg <doobnet at gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> And that has support for DSSS and Tango
>>
>> Which kind of support are you hoping for?
>
> That you can choose to build with "dsss build" or "dsss build target"
> instead of gdc.
>
> I downloaded your D plugin for Xcode 3.0 and tried that with 3.1. It
> kind of worked, the plugin itself worked but not building, I think that
> was because I use the gdc bundle from the tango website and it's build
> with the FSF gcc instead of Apple's gcc.

I had to fix the build process for Xcode 3.1, and this fix isn't on the
website yet. I'm going to put it there pretty soon. It's already in
source form in the git repository however.

> I modified the plugin so it (almost) worked with the gdc I have but it
> didn't work to compile a tango app without dsss. I also modified the
> plugin to use dsss instead but Xcode added to many unknown flags to the
> list of build flags that I couldn't find and remove them.

That's where you lose me. Xcode has its own build system which you
should bypass if you want to make dsss in charge of the build. I think
what you want is a new target were, just like when you have a makefile,
the build process is only launched by Xcode but taken care by an
external tool. Am I right?

If that's what you need, then I suggest you create a new target of type
"External Target" which you can find in the "Other" category, where the
description says: "Target that invokes an external build system (e.g.,
make)." Then you change the path to "/usr/bin/make" for the path to
dsss.

If that's not what you need, then there's something I don't understand
about what you are trying to do.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com