merging latest dmd frontend to gdc

Michael P. baseball.mjp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 17:35:19 PDT 2009

Hey, I want to help out with GDC. I don't know a ton about D, but I've got lots of time to learn, and I think that I would be able to help improve GDC.
Right now, I'm pretty sure that the GDC svn is at DMD 1.030, and works with GCC 4.1.x.
So, I'm trying to merge the DMD frontend source of DMD into GDC. Obviously, it's not as easy as copying and pasting the frontend source into the dmd folder of the GDC trunk. I tried that, and got multiple errors.
I'm aware of these two links:
http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GdcHacking
and
http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DMDSourceGuide
which don't seem to be that useful for merging in the DMD front end.
So, if anyone has any insight on how to do this, or what differs when compiling GDC, tell me. I want to help.
Also, I think that it would be easier to try and do it incrementally, and not jump from 1.030 to 1.047, and instead, doing 1.030->1.031, etc.