Status updates (and PPA packages) for gdc

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 28 06:13:09 PDT 2010

Joseph Wakeling Wrote:

> > Well, here is the page that links to the PPA. https://launchpad.net/~gdc-drivers
> > Package still needs some loving - fleshing it out of gdc into it's own gdc2 is
> > probably a todo, and clean up applied patches, as a number are not relevant to D2.
>
> Thanks very much!  Will try it out and get back to you on my experience.
>
> > Anyone interested in helping out, just PM me.
>
> ... maybe worth coordinating with the D Language Packagers team?  Rather than a
> dedicated gdc PPA, in the longer term it might be better to organise D stuff into
> a 'D-language' PPA for stable packages (up-to-date ldc, gdc, libtango, ...) and
> 'D-language-beta' for bleeding-edge stuff like this.

I *am* the D Packagers team in Ubuntu and Debian - it is only me (for the moment). :-)

> You mentioned that this gdc breaks other D packages on the system -- what should I
> watch out for?
>
> Thanks again and best wishes,
>
>     -- Joe

It is pretty much just general language changes that are not backwards compatible with D1 that caused the most issues. Nothing else really.

If you write a program for the D2 compiler, it will work with the D2 compiler.

Regards
Iain