Compiling with gdc vs. gdmd

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Fri Apr 6 07:58:30 PDT 2012

Joseph Rushton Wakeling, el  6 de abril a las 15:00 me escribiste:
> On 06/04/12 08:11, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> >OK, I understand what you're saying, but I think there's a misunderstanding
> >here: With Waf, you *do* write a build script like you do with e.g. Make, and
> >this so-called wscript sits outside Waf. See for example:
> >https://github.com/lycus/mci/blob/master/wscript
> >
> >The Waf binary loads up this script and executes it when you issue build
> >commands, much like Make does for Makefiles.
>
> Yes, but -- if I understand correctly -- the Waf binary is provided
> as an integral part of the source distribution.  It's not just
> another program that sits elsewhere on your computer and can be
> installed independently.
>
> In fact, the zipped-up wscript is contained within the build script
> as a binary blob, no?  This alone is enough to make it fall under
> the GPL provisions.

No IIRC.  You can download and use the waf binary from wherever you like
and the script you write has nothing to do with the binary. The binary
just run the script as someone told you before. The only catch is that
thing about changing the API, so you'll have to download the exact
version used by the upstream author (or one that still works for that
script)

Think as if someone just shipped a make binary with their software, the
makefile is still a script independent with the make binary and you can
use another make binary to run it.