D on the Raspberry Pi

Stefan Frijters sfrijters at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 11:15:47 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 2 August 2012 at 07:49:14 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> Am Thu, 02 Aug 2012 00:30:35 +0200
> schrieb "Stefan Frijters" <sfrijters at gmail.com>:

>> > I've done some new attempts. After using a different OS
>> > image on a different SD card, everything worked much better
>> > (raspbian "Pisces"). I followed your instructions on the
>> > wiki page but had to change arm-linux-gnueabi to
>> > arm-linux-gnueabihf and later removed them altogether with
>> > the same effect.
>> >
>> > However, compilation got stuck at the same place as before.
>> > It couldn't find <bits/predefs.h> and other architecture
>> > specific files. Symlinking from
>> > /usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf/* to gcc/* helped a bit
>> > until it stopped with the same error as in the build log
>> > that I posted before.
>> >
>> > I will probably just try the debian image, although a system
>> > with hardfloat support would be pretty important in the long
>> > run. But the fact that it doesn't find the /sys/, /bits/
>> > etc. headers sounds like it is just some stupid little build
>> > problem. But I'm much too unfamiliar with the GCC build
>> > process to make effective guesses for a solution.
>>
>> Following the instructions at Johannes Pfau's link above I
>> managed to get the compiler up and running on the squeeze image
>> (not counting stupidity on my part which made the compilation
>> fail more than six hours into the process...). So thanks for
>> that! However, I am curious if anyone has made any progress
>> getting it to work on the raspbian image. I will try some
>> things
>> tomorrow (though I'm a newbie, so I doubt I'll get very far on
>> my
>> own) but with the 8-hour compilation cycles I would like to
>> avoid
>> any stupid mistakes if possible. Any experiences or tips would
>> be
>> helpful!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Stefan
>>

> I haven't tried raspbian yet, but it's always good to make sure
> all
> packages necessary for building gcc are installed (make sure to
> do
> this before calling the gcc configure script!):
> -----------
> sudo apt-get install build-essential git
> sudo apt-get build-dep gcc
> -----------
> also make sure to enable swap.
>
> Usually the configure flags described on GDC's main page work
> fine:
> -----------
> ../configure --enable-languages=d --disable-bootstrap \
>         --disable-shared --disable-nls --prefix=/opt/gdc \
>
> --with-bugurl="https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/issues" \
>         --enable-checking=yes \
>         --disable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap
> -----------
>
> but you can also have a look at the flags the system gcc has
> been
> compiled with:
> -----------
> gcc -v
> [...]

Thank you for the pointers. I just got the results of my first
attempt (it failed). I'm getting the same error as reported by
Sönke Ludwig above, and after some googling it seems to be
related to
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=648889 . I'm now
going to retry with 'env CFLAGS="-g -O2
-I/usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf"
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf" ../configure [etc]'. I
put in the "-g -O2" because that is something the make mentioned
being there before. I guess I'll know if it worked in the
morning...

Cheers,

Stefan