Difference in dmd and gdmd -lib option

Dan Olson zans.is.for.cans at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 09:12:04 PDT 2012

Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> writes:

> Cool, I also tried this, with DMD tough. I didn't get very far, there
> are functionality that DMD needs that's missing from the iPhone SDK.

Jacob, how far did you get?

A couple years ago I started building a bare druntime. Not too useful
because I stripped GC and with that goes classes, delagates, dynamic
arrays, and other stuff I don't recall. I was going for small embedded
use of D (not ios) and wanted to see how much of the language required
GC support.

Anyway, I was thinking of reviving some of that to build a minimal
support runtime for arm/ios, but leave the GC in since ios is not a
small embedded system. Eventualy add more and more of phobos.

The reason I want to do this is that I think objective-c should just be
one of those interesting hybrid languages in the evolution tree, but
should begin to die off since modern languages are so better designed
(my opinion). I read a post in D newsgroup years ago about a compiler
mod that allows D to use objective-C style method dispatch (by M.
Fortin? or somebody like that - I'd have to search). An ARM D with his
feature, then you can use D to write for ios. It would make programming
fun!  Well, more fun.