GDC 4.7 build problems on Ubuntu 12.10 -- success!

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Nov 5 07:27:52 PST 2012

On 11/05/2012 04:13 PM, Timo Sintonen wrote:
> I do not kmow anout the error messages but here are some tips I have found.
>
> The version of gcc installed in the system should be same or very close to the
> source code. So install the newest package available.

I'm using the exact sources of GCC from the Ubuntu archives (4.7.2), and have
applied the necessary Debian patches.

> The full build process first makes a compiler and then tries to compile itself
> again with this new compiler. For me this seems to fail more often than not. For
> cross compilers this is not possible at all. The option --disable-bootstrap
> omits this last stage.

Ahhh, I'd forgotten about --disable-bootstrap: adding that to the configure
instructions seems to solve all the problems.  I've now successfully built and
installed GDC 4.7, and the -j option does not disturb the build.

Just for reference, my successful configuration was:

../gcc-4.7-4.7.2/src/configure --enable-languages=d --disable-multilib
--disable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap --disable-libquadmath
--disable-libquadmath-support --disable-bootstrap --enable-checking=release

I'd first done a successful build with --disable-lto and without the
--enable-checking option, so having done that, I thought I'd give these updated
options a go.  Works fine!

Thanks so much to everyone for all the advice and patience in helping me get a
successful build.

Best wishes,

     -- Joe