Can GDC make DLLs?

Ben Davis entheh at cantab.net
Sun Feb 24 18:57:01 PST 2013

On 25/02/2013 00:53, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> I leave monger to Daniel, and don't really affiliate any modifications
> to gcc-proper any part if gdc.   However that's not to say that I don't
> think his work is invaluable. :)

Can't say I know what monger is, but OK :)

> I think it's horrible that you use .intel_syntax. \n shouldn't be
> required either if you just have it as one string.  ;)

Hey, I just wanted to get it working as quickly as possible - Googling
how to use Intel syntax with GCC's inline asm was faster than trying to
learn the absolute %hideous &satan-$born
that(%is,$abomination,%syntax),%at&t;. ;)

About the string though, do you mean a "multiline
string like
this"? I guess I've been using Java too long, where those aren't
allowed. Good to be reminded that's possible. :)

As it happens, I ran into some of the more general problems with GDC
which I'm sure people are actively working on - e.g. missing stack
traces, failure to generate catchable throwables in response to null
pointer access violations and the like - and also, my DLL stopped
working when I turned debug info off (I didn't investigate why beyond
checking that the export table contained the required entries, which it
did) - so after a whole weekend of it, I decided to cut my losses and
shell out for the DMC source so I could fix the bug that led me to GDC
in the first place. (I also noticed that the GDC build was over 6 MB and
the DMD build was less than 1 MB.)

I do hope to take advantage of GCC's alleged faster code one day, but my
current project is hardly going to tax any CPUs, so I'll go with more
stuff working for now.

But definitely keep up the good work :)