gcc 4.8.1 made it to Debian Sid

eles eles at eles.com
Mon Jul 8 02:43:00 PDT 2013

On Friday, 5 July 2013 at 16:35:26 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
wrote:
> On 07/05/2013 04:40 PM, eles wrote:
>> On Friday, 5 July 2013 at 13:45:30 UTC, Joseph Rushton
>> Wakeling wrote:
>>> On 07/05/2013 03:34 PM, eles wrote:
>>> Ubuntu 13.04.  I have also compiled GDC successfully using
>>> 4.8.1 on a cluster in
>>> my office which runs Ubuntu 12.04.
>>
>> Ubuntu 13.10-x86_64 here (alpha). Do you use these
>> instructions?
>
> I'll describe exactly what I do.
>
> Let's suppose that we have a directory called $(GDCDIR) that
> holds everything.
>
> In $(GDCDIR)/dev I have my local copy of the GDC git repo.
> This is GDC master,
> not any of the 4.x branches.
>
> In $(GDCDIR)/gcc-4.8.1 I have the GCC sources.  This is just
> the .tar.gz
> download from one of the GCC mirrors, unzipped.
>
> Then:
>
>     cd $(GDCDIR)/dev
>     ./setup-gcc.sh ../gcc-4.8.1
>     mkdir ../objdir
>     cd ../objdir
>     ../gcc-4.8.1/configure --enable-languages=d
> --disable-multilib
> --enable-checking=release --prefix=/opt/gdc
>     make   [ with -j for as many processors as you can spare,
> it helps! ]

Well, it worked! Thanks a lot!

> It's no longer necessary to bother with the hassle of getting
> Debian/Ubuntu GCC
> sources, as from 4.8 on GCC supports multiarch.  This also
> saves the hassle of
> having to patch the Debian sources.

I never properly succeed into accomplishing all these steps. It
patched, but it never compiled to the end. Thank you for the new
method.

> With the above done, if I pull in any updates from GDC master,
> I can rebuild as
> follows:
>
>     cd $(GDCDIR)/dev
>     ./setup-gcc.sh --update ../gcc-4.8.1
>     cd ../objdir
>     make    [ still use -j as many processors as you can :-) ]

I just can't wait to try this! I am looking impatiently for the
next gdc commit...

> I should add that I arrived at this simple process
> substantially thanks to a
> good deal of coaching and education from Iain, without whom GCC
> would have
> defeated me :-)

Kudos, Iain!

> When I did use .deb sources, I used gcc-snapshot -- I described
> the process
> here:
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mailman.1605.1352199912.5162.d.gnu@puremagic.com
>
> ... although watch out, there's one important typo in that set
> of instructions.

If I will have the time, one day...

> Anyway, the instructions in this email are probably the best to
> go with now.

Completely agree.

> Let me know how it goes for you ... :-)

Kudos, kudos, kudos.

> Best wishes,

Tha same to you!

>     -- Joe

Eles

> P.S. You'll probably also want to install gdmd which these days
> has a separate
> git repo.  Very easy to install -- you just need to tweak the
> Makefile so that
> the install prefix goes where you want it to.

I will try that too.