GDC-4.9 in development

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Mar 26 05:37:32 PDT 2013

On 03/23/2013 01:13 PM, Manu wrote:
> Will switching to 4.9 make it harder to support all the 4.8 (and below) cross
> compilers out there? Like the console toolchains.

Also ... how will that affect the ability to compile on Ubuntu using
gcc-snapshot?  Working on alpha/beta 13.04 that package has continued to be
updated, but now with feature freeze I imagine it will be left at the version it
currently occupies, which is from the 4.8 development branch.

Without wanting to put any pressure or demands on anyone, I do think it would be
very helpful to D if from now on the latest GDC (read: GDC with latest frontend,
runtime, Phobos) could be guaranteed to build using both the current stable and
development releases of GCC.  Are there any particular things that any of us
could do that would help make this easier?

Oh, and ... dare I ask the nasty question, what's the status of GDC becoming
formally integrated into GCC?  I can't remember whether this was originally
anticipated as happening with the 4.8 or 4.9 release.