GDC-4.9 in development

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 26 07:44:09 PDT 2013

On 26 March 2013 12:37, Joseph Rushton Wakeling <
joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote:

> On 03/23/2013 01:13 PM, Manu wrote:
> > Will switching to 4.9 make it harder to support all the 4.8 (and below)
> cross
> > compilers out there? Like the console toolchains.
>
> Also ... how will that affect the ability to compile on Ubuntu using
> gcc-snapshot?  Working on alpha/beta 13.04 that package has continued to be
> updated, but now with feature freeze I imagine it will be left at the
> version it
> currently occupies, which is from the 4.8 development branch.

4.8 should be working with that.  There haven't been any API-level changes
in GCC in a while...

> Without wanting to put any pressure or demands on anyone, I do think it
> would be
> very helpful to D if from now on the latest GDC (read: GDC with latest
> frontend,
> runtime, Phobos) could be guaranteed to build using both the current
> stable and
> development releases of GCC.  Are there any particular things that any of
> us
> could do that would help make this easier?

This is why there are gdc-4.7, gdc-4.8 branches.  They are there to be
guaranteed to work with those gcc releases.  There won't be any support for
multiple gcc versions in one source.  This was done in the past (supporting
gcc-3.4 -> gcc-4.4,  then gcc-4.0 -> gcc-4.6).  It was a horrible mess and
caused lots of spaghetti code and macros to work around every single
incompatibility problem.

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';