d bare bones

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sun Sep 8 05:08:38 PDT 2013

On 07/09/13 07:33, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I find that it's much more convincing for me to say "feature X is
> broken, here's the code change to make it better", than to say "feature
> X is broken, D sucks, you lazy bums better start working to fix X or
> else I'm leaving".  It feels good to rant and get it off my chest, but
> it feels even better to have my changes merged and feature X to get
> fixed because of me.

Of course, but many potential users don't have the free time to be able to do
this, and even if they do, sometimes the techniques required to make the fix are
outside their understanding (and the time required for learning may be prohibitive).

I don't think there's any excuse for ranting, but it's understandable that there
can be frustration in circumstances where a user says: "Hey, this feature is
broken, having it work is really important for me," and that concern is not
reciprocated by the principal developers.

I don't think D is particularly an offender here -- where it is, it's usually
down to manpower rather than unwillingness to recognize problems.  But when
anything like this happens, it's very demotivating to users.