-fno-rtti (disable TypeInfo) support ready for testing

Mike via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Fri May 15 04:22:37 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 14 May 2015 at 15:21:46 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
             ^

> The compiler was still building the xopEquals and xopCMP
> functions.
> These use TypeInfo internally but they're also only accessible
> through
> TypeInfo. Solution: We should not generate these functions with
> -fno-rtti. Bonus points: You don't need _xopEquals in object.d
> anymore.
>

> The array error should also be fixed. I've updated the pull
> request so you can give it another try.

I tested again with the latest changes.  Removing the TypeInfo
faking reduced my runtime implementation to essentially nothing
_d_run_main and a few aliases.  My demo builds fine and the
resulting binary went from 459k to 6k.  The binary also executes
as expected, and with such a small binary, I can flash my
hardware is less than 500ms.

My test is not very thorough, though, as I intentionally use very
little of the language, but this feature is really a great
enabler for me, and I think we'll have what we need to make a
minimal runtime and toolchain package for C-like bare-metal
programming in D.

Thanks for the great work.  If there's anything more I can do to
move this progress forward, please let me know.

Mike