Defuzzed: a fuzzer for D compilers

Brad Roberts via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 3 14:22:55 PDT 2016

On 4/3/2016 5:48 AM, Sebastien Alaiwan via D.gnu wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 April 2016 at 12:08:32 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
>> there is also generated from Brain Schott aka. Hackerpilot.
>> It may be useful to take a peek there.
>
> Thanks, this definitely is going to be a source of inspiration!
> (I'm also looking at AFL (American Fuzzy Lop) - lots of great stuff in
> this tool).
>
> Unlike 'generated', I aim to produce semantically valid random programs.
>
> I might want to allow some degree of invalidity, as the same error could
> manifest itself as both 'ice-on-valid' and 'ice-on-invalid', but might
> be more easily revealed through 'ice-on-invalid'.
>
> My long-term goal is the complete eradication of "ice-on-valid" errors
> from gdc :-)
> (I plan to keep the tool compiler-agnostic).
>
> Your ideas/contributions are welcome!

Also, given the shared frontend among dmd, gdc, and ldc, most of the
bugs will likely be in that shared code and should result in bugs going
to issues.dlang.org.

I wouldn't worry too much about valid vs invalid.  ICE's in general tend
to be fairly easy to fix and have a pretty big negative impact on user
experience.  So, both are very worth discovering and reporting.

Later,
Brad