Testing GDC (GCC 7.1) on Runtime-less ARM Cortex-M

Mike via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 25 03:53:35 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 25 June 2017 at 10:44:26 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Out of curiosity, is that the original built binary, or post
> trimming
> (strip / --gc-sections)?

I'm compiling with -ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections, and
linking with --gc-sections.

> There might be a size optimization possibility putting the
> TypeInfo in comdat, perhaps we could give that a go.

Don't know what that means, but if it helps reduce dead code and
doesn't have any unintended consequences, sounds good!

> There's also https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/pull/100
> - perhaps there should be a revival of that.

I'm not really interested in that because its too blunt of an
instrument.  I'd like to use TypeInfo, but only if I'm doing
dynamic casts or other things that require such runtime
information.  Also, I'd only want the TypeInfo for the types that
need it in my binary.  I've said this before but I'll repeat:  I
like TypeInfo; I just don't like dead code.

Mike