invalid at example.com
Thu Sep 17 14:15:34 UTC 2020
On Wednesday, 16 September 2020 at 21:05:27 UTC, Iain Buclaw
> On Wednesday, 16 September 2020 at 12:50:57 UTC, wjoe wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 16 September 2020 at 10:42:27 UTC, Iain Buclaw
>>> On Wednesday, 16 September 2020 at 09:55:22 UTC, wjoe wrote:
>>>> The way it's being done right now is that 'make install'
>>>> installs to the /usr prefix. After that a tarball of this
>>>> prefix is created (via tar cJf gdc-triplet.txz /usr). I'm
>>>> not sure if that's suitable as a release as is because tar
>>>> omits the root / so the result will be extracted as usr/
>>>> There isn't a lot of time budget left in that task but it
>>>> should be possible to run some more scripts.
>>>> If the time limit won't suffice it should be possible to
>>>> cache /usr and move the tar ball script into a new task.
>>> If it follows the convention of the existing packages, it
>>> should be fine. e.g: tar extracts gdc into
>> The tar ball is 443MiB. That's because it includes half the
>> docker container :)
> You should be able to get yourself down to about ~30MB. ;-)
> I'll see if there's any miscellaneous tweaks you can do, but
> the most obvious one is `strip --strip-debug`.
>> The buildci script  uses hard coded --prefix=/usr and
>> Is there a particular reason for that ?
>> Or, rather, could I just change it or introduce a variable
>> prefix in order to be able to use an isolated directory ?
> IIRC, that top line just matches Debian/Ubuntu built gcc (in
> the hope that no weirdness would happen when running testsuite).
> Seems reasonable to break it out into a variable that can be
> overridden by the CI.
> Just looking at an old binary, the builder used
> `--prefix=/home/build/share/cache/install/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu`. Not saying that you should do the same, but the last part being the target triplet is the key.
> It may only be a marginal gain, but I find that
> --disable-libstdcxx-pch helps with speeding up incremental
> builds (a long time is spent compiling headers in libstdc++).
Installation and creation of the tar ball now works as expected.
It contains a folder named after the build_target triplet and
includes the libstdcxx, libphobos headers/sources as well as the
static/shared libs, the binaries and man pages.
It took 1:54 to build and weighs 316MB but it isn't stripped yet.
Still waiting on the results of make install-strip and with
pre-compiled headers disabled.
Once those are done I'll setup a github action to upload the tar
ball to the repository releases.
Maybe it would be a good idea to tag the directory name with a
version ID or to make a version directory there and install into
More information about the D.gnu