Is GDC a solid option versus LDC?

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Fri Mar 4 15:17:49 UTC 2022

On 05/03/2022 4:05 AM, rempas wrote:
> However, I'm really skeptical as to why people seem to prefer LDC and I
> wonder if GDC is not as stable and reliable as LDC or if most code that
> uses recent code doesn't work in GDC. I have also heard that LDC get
> support for new things faster than GDC. Is that true? And if yes, then
> for how much difference are we talking about?

GDC has a few issues that LDC simply doesn't have.

For instance GCC can only depend on a binary of the last version of GCC
(my knowledge of that is what I've heard from Iain).

What this means is its stuck using a frontend that is based upon a
version that was still C++ and that is oldddddddd. Many years old.

The version you are probably using was released back in 2017, more or
less. Yes some patches have been back ported (2.076 is the version, but
even that was D so they had to have been rewritten into C++).

Right now GDC is close to getting the frontend written in D, which from
what I hear should be next release. At which point it'll keep up.