Yet another effort at translating the Win32 API headers

J C Calvarese technocrat7 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 15:34:07 PDT 2006

In article <e0n1kg$14b8$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...

>In article <e0k60o$hrq$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, jcc7 says...
><snip>
>> I think having a dsource project for this is a very good idea.
>>
>> When you mention resurrection, do you mean like Core32.  (For the
>> record, I don't think that Core32 is dead, but it might be
>> sleeping.  Or just lazy.)
>
>There are a number of problems with some of the existing translations:
>- how some of the content gets lost in translation

I don't know what you mean by this, but you've probably studied Core32 more than
I have, and you're probably right.

>- arcane, undocumented features, e.g.  version (STANDALONE) in Core32

There's a simple purpose for version(STANDALONE), but it might be controversial.

>- as you say, copyright issues

Right.

>Making a clean start is a good way to avoid these.  This is kind of
>what I was trying to do by starting from MinGW and by writing a wiki
>page to coordinate the effort.

Since SVN is a problem on your Mac, maybe you could start a project at dsource
and just use the Trac wiki to attach files. It's not ideal, but it's better than
these newsgroups (IMO). There has to be something better than attaching the
files to these newsgroups. The files can be decoded from the web interface, but
it sure slows a person down when they don't have a news reader available.

><snip>
>> Or maybe you mean Deimos?  That idea never really took off, but it
>> was supposed to be a place to submit files that might become part
>> of Phobos.
>
>I'm a bit confused about what Deimos was supposed to be.  Most
>claimed that it's just a name for the etc section of the standard
>library.  Others used it to mean Arcane Jill's big integer library,
>which was filed in etc but never made it into any official DMD
>distribution.  (Does anyone have any idea where Jill is these days?)

Deimos was supposed to be "etc". The "etc" section is supposed to include stuff
that could be become part of Phobos if it matures. In reality, "etc" seems to be
just stuff that Walter doesn't want to junk, but doesn't want to give the Phobos
seal of approval to either.

I don't know what happened to Arcane Jill. She was very vocal for a few weeks
(or months?) and without any warning that I noticed she stopped posting. I
suspect that she just decided that D wasn't the language of her dreams after all
(I think she had some cryptographic concerns that left her unsatisfied).

jcc7