ANNOUNCEMENT: GNU-D opens up shop

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Fri Apr 28 17:48:13 PDT 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:44:31 +1000, Gabe McArthur
<Gabe_member at pathlink.com> wrote:

>> ach ... I thought perhaps you were serious about helping for a moment.
>>
>> Have a trout ... courtesy of dsource.org :)
>
> Realize this: dsource is a collection of disparate tools and
> vague/nebulous
> repositories.  I'm talking about conformity and organization.
> Standardized
> libraries.  A compiler that works in conjunction with other tools.  A
> debugger
> (GDB).  Everything can be organized as one cohesive whole.  This is so
> that as
> the libraries grow and the compiler becomes better, the threshold for
> people
> everywhere to work with D becomes lower.  Further, it will work off a
> standard
> development model, where the community can move and contribute much more
> quickly
> than any one person.  Walter is a great guy with a fantastic vision, but
> he's
> just one man, and his output can't really compete with a group of
> organized
> volunteers.

I just don't get it ... sorry.

Dsource can already support such projects, so why do you want to create a
competing site?  That just helps fragment the D community, which sounds
like the very thing you are trying not to do.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia