refined sugar (was DMD 0.165 release)

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Wed Aug 23 16:16:58 PDT 2006

kris wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> I was going to call this 1.0 RC1, but I just could not resist adding
>> the lazy expression evaluation. This adds one of the big capabilities
>> of common lisp.
>>
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>

> We could already do "lazy expression eval" in D, using dmd164 delegates;
> sans new sugar. So that Lisp ability was already present?
>
> I like a bit of sugar as much as anyone, especially when it's part of
> some classy dark-chocolate. But there's some practical issues with this
> most recent syntactic sugar. The overload issue is a real one, and the
> added complexity of having to manually check a callee declaration before
> you can grok what happens to an expression arg will also become a
> realisitic problem. Particularly so when you happen to miss a method
> overload in some subclass somewhere.
>
> In this specific case, I suspect there needs to be an indication of some
> kind, at the call site, to clearly and unambiguously communicate to a
> person (and to the compiler) exactly what is going on. Otherwise, this
> may be just the kind of sugar that rots the teeth of D ?

I just came on-and-off home from the "mill" (the one about using D as a
factory automation language), and my e-mail client suggested only
downloading some 50 latest unread messages (instead of the 380 in this
NG alone). So I haven't read much else than this message and the Change
Log. Yet.

A first thought:

While it remains to be seen whether the new (Lisplike stuff & co.)
things are genuinely a leap forward, I must say that from a marketing
perspective they are -- well, plain Killers!

Imagine Walter having a talk, and the audience is composed of Ultra
Gurus. Now, insinuating Lisp like properties of syntax, and presenting
them with examples like those on the Lazy... page -- makes every guru
want to comment (but hey: the comment is not to actually comment, rather
to give the impression to others that "I've understood some of this,
see, see!"). Which of course puts the onus on the others to run home and
do some serious homework so that they can throw robust opinions later
on. Which of course unaivoidably leads to those gurus learning D on the
side, which of course is a Good Thing(tm), especially considering that
_we_ know that D is contagious: taste it, and you're hooked for life!

Funny, maybe. But I'm not actually downplaying the new syntax, or its
being Lisp like.

I do see Kris's worries, and I'm nervous too. But I keep my fingers
crossed, which is all I can do 'till we have some hard facts and
real-world experience to chew on.

And I really want to hold on to my first impression, which was "this is
so cool it turns my stomach".  (!!)