New web interface to forums

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu Dec 7 13:35:55 PST 2006

Frits van Bommel wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>>> First impression: much better than the old one, some what slick.
>>>
>>> I Just noticed that some threads are scrambled .. or broken into
>>> multiple threads.
>>
>> Yeah, I noticed that too.
>
> I think I know why this happens.
> The newsgroup overview shows only the N most recent posts (25 by
> default) and seems to first get those posts and _then_ sort them by
> thread. This results in subthreads whose common 'ancestor' post is not
> in the N most recent posts getting split up.
> This may look a bit weird, but I think it makes sense: who wants to get
> a 500 post thread back because a single post was added?

I actually like this as it can take forever to find a post in an old
thread.  Often I'll give up and sort by date, just to figure out where
it is.  Also, "More Options" link allows the reader to grab more than
just the 25 default messages, so this isn't fixed behavior.

My only real complaint is that when I collapse/expand a thread it
reloads the whole page instead of just fixing up the bits that changed.
  But that's a pretty small issue compared to the other features offered.

Sean