DMD 0.148 release

Ivan Senji ivan.senji_REMOVE_ at _THIS__gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 05:22:15 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> "Tom" <Tom_member at pathlink.com> wrote in message
> news:du049t$2uv2$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>
>>Yes, PLEASE, WHY?? Just ONE argument against pure bools, only one and I
>>shut my
>>mouth forever!
>

> One should be very careful about stepping away from C's implicit promotion
> rules for a language that aims to be a successor to C. C absolutely *buried*
> Pascal.

I don't feel like writing any more about this: but here goes one more...
:)

Did you read posts by Tom and Derek? I completely agree with them. I
came from Pascal to C(actually C++), and there is *no* way for D to
become Pascal. No way even if that strange C-like bools are removed and
replaced with a more modern bool type.

Stepping away from C on this bool story would only encourage everyone to
move to D, sticking with C these days isn't a great attractor for
C++/Java/C# and probably most other users.

on_scope might me an important feature but it isn't the first feature a
new user will meet. A new user is likely to encounter bool first, be
dissapointed and run away before finding all other cool features. (IMO)

> Pascal didn't have implicit type conversions. That meant that typical Pascal
> code was littered with casts. It was ugly, and I'd argue that casting
> reduces type safety, rather than enhancing it.

Sure if you have to do it all the time, I agree with most implicit
conversions that D has, but not about those for bool.