style sheets

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Mon Jun 5 06:48:26 PDT 2006

In article <e5vn9o$2n16$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Unknown W. Brackets says...

>Eric,
>
>My day job is web development.  I write HTML/CSS, and I do dynamic pages
>as well in various languages (primarily Flash or JavaScript client side,
>or PHP server side.)  I'm not strong in Flash, but I'm pretty strong in
>HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and PHP.
>
>I work with this every day, and I never use CSS hacks.  I'm consistently
>able to write CSS and HTML that works in Mozilla 1.0, Internet Explorer
>5.0, and Safari 1.3 (and usually Opera, but we don't officially support
>that one.)  It isn't hard, people just jump to wanting to use hacks too
>quickly.
>
>In fact, I used to support Opera and Internet Explorer 4.0 officially
>when I worked freelance.
>
>Anyway, as far as I remember, the CSS spec does not include // as a
>comment, only /* */ multiline comments.  If I am correct, this means
>that Mozilla is doing the wrong thing here.
>
>Please see for reference:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#comments
>
>Thus, if Mozilla were correctly patched to better follow the spec in
>this case, it would break again.  Better to fix it the right way.
>
>Please do not take what I've said as condescending or snooty; I'll admit
>it flares me up a tiny bit when people start using CSS hacks since it's
>so easy not to, but understand that I wouldn't bother to say this if I
>thought it was falling on deaf ears or if I had no respect for your opinion.

Well, we're two of a kind then: my day job is also web-development. Thank you
for taking the time to clarify where you're coming from on all this.  :)

I just hope that I didn't come off as arrogant or pushy in my last post; if I
have, then I apologize.  Such was not my intention.

I respect your opinion, and you're right about the use of comments in the CSS
spec.  And no, I take nothing but wisdom and position from your post - it was
obvious from word one that you were speaking from solid experience.

Anyway, in light of all this, can you suggest a more compliant way to patch the
site CSS?  In light of the non-compliant "//" comments being gracefully accepted
(or just flat-out ignored as a malformatted line) by Mozilla, perhaps its best
such that future browsers can still render the site correctly.

- EricAnderton at yahoo