std.date proposal

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 05:03:52 PST 2006

Fredrik Olsson wrote:
<snip>
> Spelling corrected, I bet there is more, way more...

Like your use of "allot" in the next sentence.

> "M/D/Y" will stay I think, it is the US way, ambiguous or not, and there
> is allot of code/people out there making this assumption. If I could
> choose myself we would all go ISO :).

And there are probably at least as many people in the world who expect
dates to be D/M/Y.  People's assumptions will differ even further on
what century a two-digit year is in - do you have a policy on this?

> Perhaps a mode flag should be added, to prefer YMD, DMY or MDY whenever
> an ambiguity exists?
<snip>

I guess so.  But it depends on how you define ambiguous or not.  For
example, date notation in MS Access confused me the other day until I
got my head around how #13/5/06# is interpreted as 13 March and
#12/5/06# as 5 December.

Stewart.

--

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on
the 'group where everyone may benefit.