new domain: d-programming-language.org

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Mon May 8 21:26:51 PDT 2006

Chris Miller wrote:
> Sorry about that unfriendly post. I'll try to explain better.
>
> Google and yahoo search both treat domains with '-' less because they're
> most likely spam domains. '-' does pretty much no good, and is harder to
> tell people the site vocally due to having to explain the dashes, and
> makes it overall sound less appealing.
> Notice that when you google for `d programming` it bolds the whole,
> non-'.com' part of dprogramming.com because it does do substring
> searches on domains.
>
> The other issue is that it's just too long, even without the dashes. I
> wouldn't be surprised if search engines give lower priority to domains
> that long as well.
>
> digitalmars.com and dprogramming.com are fairly long, but they don't
> exactly go over that "too far" limit like d-programming-language.org does.
>
> My suggestion is to get dlanguage.org, and also get dlanguage.com to
> redirect to dlanguage.org.
> There are different reasons for also getting the .com version: many
> people try .com first; domain squatters watch for .org registrations and
> hurry up and grab the .com counterparts for spam sometimes; and .com
> hasn't completely meant 'commercial' for years now, some users even
> don't know it or assume it means 'computer'.
>
> - Chris

I agree with Chris and Gregor that the site name is awfully unwieldy.
dlanguage.org (and com) would be a great choice... Yet I /do/ think the
"org" post-fix is to be preferred; and I do think it makes a big
difference to people visiting the site, although I agree that snapping
up the same *.com address would be a good idea as well.  Whenever I
visit *.com sites, I always assume a proprietary nature, even though it
probably qualifies as a knee-jerk reaction.

Nevertheless, I applaud Walter on this step.  I am very happy to see
he's working towards publicizing D in this way.  It's an important move,
I think.

-JJR