D 1.0 for Jan 1, 2007

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Fri Nov 10 10:27:11 PST 2006

Brad Roberts wrote:
> 1) is jan 1 a branch point for the language spec?  the compiler?  both?

Both. The idea is the compiler will get a switch to cause it to be a
"1.0 features only" compiler, so bug fixes will continue to get folded
in, but new features can be disabled.

> 2) if it includes the compiler, are there going to be release
> candidates?  before or starting on jan 1?

Basically all the releases from now till then will be oriented towards
that. On Jan 1, that's it.

> 3) if it includes the spec, I assume that you'll (and hopefully the
> community) will be spending time doing a thorough review of it both as
> it stands and as it is reflected in the compiler.

The spec will get marked as appropriate when post 1.0 features change.

> 4) if it's the compiler and NOT the spec, what's that mean for the spec?
>
> 5) if it's the sped and not the compiler, when might the compiler be
> frozen to match the spec?
>
> ... there's bound to be more answerable questions that stem from these
> first few.
>
> Clearer?

Yes.