D 1.0 for Jan 1, 2007

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Fri Nov 10 11:32:44 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Brad Roberts wrote:
>> 1) is jan 1 a branch point for the language spec?  the compiler?  both?
>
> Both. The idea is the compiler will get a switch to cause it to be a
> "1.0 features only" compiler, so bug fixes will continue to get folded
> in, but new features can be disabled.

Yikes.

I'd really rather see a branched source tree, where bugfixes to the 1.0
compiler go into the 1.x branch, and new features go into the 2.0 branch.

For a few versions, it might work to have a single compiler binary where
new features and bugfixes can be kept separate simply using passing a
commandline parameter to a single compiler binary.

But what about refactorings of existing features. Are those new
features, or are they bugfixes? What happens when a particular new
feature makes an old feature obsolete?

I know it's a little bit more work to maintain two different branches
(though I suspect it's nearly as much work to maintain a whole sandboxed
compiler version within the same development branch as the old stable
version). Nevertheless, even if it is more work, I think it'd be worthwhile.

--benji