Is DMD 0.166 RC 1.0?

Charles D Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 2 18:20:14 PDT 2006

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Any compelling reason why not? I know that everyone (including me)
>> wants more features, more improvements, etc., but nothing about
>> calling it 1.0 will prevent that from happening.
>
> Um, it ought to.
>
> I think you ought to branch.  Branch off 1.0 with a feature freeze, and
> also an "experimental" new-features new-stuff branch.  Rather than
> rejecting all new features, put them in the experimental branch.  That
> branch then later becomes 1.1 or 2.0 (depending on how you choose to
> number, etc).  That way, people who just want a stable software platform
> can choose 1.0, and those who live on the bleeding edge can choose the
> experimental branch.
>
>  - Gregor Richards
Make 1.1 the experimental branch, and save 1.2 for the next
release branch.  The same even/odd thing that the Linux kernel
used to use.  It worked well there, arguably better than the
current approach.  But think about the release numerations.
If it's a string, then use 1.1.001 for the first experimental
version.  If it's a float, think about switching to a string.
  An alternate choice would be to consider it a struct with
three fields (ubyte?) called: version, branch, and subversion.