Entice Designer 0.8.2 release

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Tue Apr 24 06:24:55 PDT 2007

Saaa wrote:
>> Except from what I understand, ultimately they got it so it _does_ work in
>> a window just like it does in XP:
>>
>> Found this from a quick search:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/winperf/archive/2007/04/04/opengl-and-windows-vista.aspx
>> """
>> Another thing that has left a lot of people confused has been around
>> OpenGL applications and how they work with the new desktop composition
>> system, called DWM. DWM is implemented using Direct3D 9, and as such it
>> was originally thought that OpenGL applications could not interoperate
>> with DWM and DWM would need to shut down in the presence of an OpenGL
>> application. This is not the case. Windows Vista provides a mechanism for
>> hardware vendors to use to integrate an OpenGL application with DWM, which
>> acts in the exact same manner as D3D9 and GDI integration with DWM via
>> shared surfaces (a new feature of WDDM).
>> """
>>
>> So in the end it sounds like all's right with the world.  Except this
>> lingering bad taste in my mouth.  Even if they didn't do it this time, it
>> shows that Microsoft is willing to make OpenGL (and by extension any
>> not-invented-here API) a 2nd class citizen at the drop of a hat.
>>
>> --bb
>
> That it lingers a bitter taste in your mouth is a good example of how
> microsoft is looked at :)
> How does 'making everything work nicely even though they didn't have to'
> make you think they were willing to make OpenGL a 2th class citizen?

I think exactly because "they didn't have to". Their OS monopoly gives
them enormous power -- why *should* they make everything work nicely?
OpenGL has one of the biggest lobby groups of anything which could be
affected.
See how they almost disabled support for 80-bit floating point in Win64;
it's only because of Walter that it stayed. They were ready to deny
access to the hardware.
Are there any similar-sized monopolies of 'essential services' with so
much freedom? (Imagine if there were rumours that your electricity
supplier was considering moving to 68Hz. 10% of all electrical products
would stop working!) The fact that it's plausible that OpenGL could
become a second-class citizen is quite scary.