DSSS 0.69 released.

Mike Parker aldacron71 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 17:36:16 PDT 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Mike Parker wrote:

> Statements like this annoy me to no end. I create this tool that
> integrates and standardizes all sorts of things and makes the whole
> situation of using 3rd party libraries infinitely easier with D, and
> everybody goes, "Hey, look, it works with a build utility that works
> well. Let's use that and not the tool itself. I have no interest because
> I don't know what it does and I'm happy with copying all my libraries
> into the same directory as the modules for my binary in a gigantic mess
> of unmaintainable code. Oh, and including obnoxious and
> platform-specific build scripts that use rebuild rather than DSSS, a
> tool for making easy and cross-platform build scripts, is brilliant."

I understand what DSSS does, and for those who like it, fine. I just
personally don't. I'm obviously not the target audience. I do prefer to
manage the libraries I use myself. I keep them all in a nice, neat,
global import directory. I can build with DMD, Tango, Rebuild, Bud, or
GDC (if I set it up) without needing to muck about with any
configuration files. It's a simple system and isn't broken for me, so I
get no benefit from DSSS.

My intent was not to annoy you, but to let you know that I think Rebuild
rocks. That's a tool I find particularly useful as it matches my needs
perfectly.

> This puts me into a chicken-and-egg scenario. DSSS is most useful when
> many available D libraries support it, but the developers for many of
> the D libraries continue to maintain incompatible and difficult-to-use
> build scripts (or, worse yet, encourage duplication), which degrades its
> usefulness. When I started seeing build scripts that actually used
> rebuild, that's when I decided I'm not going to distribute rebuild in
> isolation.
>
> I don't consider people who use rebuild in isolation to be valid
> consumers of my code, and I'm not going to actively support that
> configuration. Yes, it will still work (rebuild isn't going away any
> time soon, it is indeed a necessary component of DSSS), but I'm not
> actually going to create bundles which /encourage/ people to not use the
> software that rebuild was built to support. Honestly, I have no idea why
> I was ever doing that in the first place.

Too bad you feel that way. I'll continue to be an invalid user of your
code, whether you make the binary available or not. A great tool is a
great tool.