DSSS 0.69 released.

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas at famolsen.dk
Tue Aug 7 04:05:29 PDT 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>
>> Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:

>>> Hmm.. A la SCons, perhaps?
>>> http://www.scons.org/
>>>
>>> SCons actually supports D already, and prior to the existance of
>>> Build/Bud that was what I used.  However, its a Python application
>>> (hence its scripting capability), and so useless if you don't have
>>> Python installed.
>>>
>>> I'm sure with MiniD in hand we could do at least as well... and possibly
>>> even better.
>>>
>>> -- Chris Nicholson-Sauls
>>
>> I was going to suggest that as well. I haven't used it before, but it
>> does fit what Sean was looking, since its configuration files are python
>> sripts.
>>

> I personally liked A-A-P better, also implemented in Python. It has a
> simple and powerful syntax for the common build tasks, but can also have
> inline Python code. It (together with SCons) never caught on for D due to
> the Python dependency. I suppose this would translate to using MiniD code
> inline in dsss scripts.

When I do C/C++ development I usually use premake[1]. It's a neat little
program that generates 1) a Makefile, 2) a MSVC project or 3) a
Code::Blocks project from a Lua script.

I've always liked Lua, and having a complete scripting system available
makes it really flexible. For example it's really easy to add custom
command line options, or you can generate config header files etc. Not that
I've really needed it for DSSS yet, but something similar could probably be
a pretty useful addition.

[1]: http://premake.sourceforge.net/