Mayhem Intergalactic: First commercial game written in D?

Chris P. chrisp at inventivedingo.com
Sat Dec 8 15:01:16 PST 2007

Stéphan Kochen wrote:
> Chris P. wrote:
>> Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
>>> 	From the video, it looks like a real-time version of GNULactic
>>> Konquest (http://www.ia.net/~rsteffen/konquest.html but
>>> unfortunately it appears to be down)
>>>
>>> 		Jerome
>>
>> Actually it's turn-based. :-)  If you want a real-time version, try
>> Galcon. Sadly, Galcon was not written in D, and I didn't write it; but
>> it's a good game anyway.
>>
>> Mayhem Intergalactic has similarities to Konquest, certainly. Playing it
>> is quite a different experience, however - smoother, prettier, and more
>> enjoyable, at least in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris
>
> While we're drawing comparisons, was it inspired by Spaceward Ho? :)
> http://www.deltatao.com/ho/
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceward_Ho!
>
> I should try that demo out soon.
>
> -- Stéphan

There's one I hadn't seen before! So no, no inspiration from there. :-)

As far as I can remember, the original original inspiration was some old
OS/2 game that I played as a kid. I forget what it was called, and I
think it was more complicated (it had a tech tree and multiple ship
types). At some point I wrote a simple (and ugly) clone of it for a game
creation system. Even with the lack of eye candy and features, it
suddenly became one of the more popular games on the platform! At that
point I figured I was on to something.

Cheers,
Chris