Tango Group Imports

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Dec 21 18:00:23 PST 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Dear D community,
>
> In a response to community requests for fewer imports in Tango programs,
> especially for the smaller ones, we have created an experimental package
> called "group". This contains several modules, each publicly importing a
> themed collection of Tango modules. For example: tango.group.net and
> tango.group.stream.

Like the idea, not so wild about the name.

How about "api"?  To use the collections API you say tango.api.collection.

Or focus on the simplicity:
   tango.simple.*
   tango.flat.*
   tango.direct.*
   tango.easy.*
   tango.ez.*  // short to type!

Or even 'use'/'using' might be slick:
   tango.use.collection;
   tango.using.collection;

Or 'lib':
   import tango.lib.collection;

Or thinking of shortest possible words (because it's for convenience to
begin with):

   tango.go.collection
   tango.by.collection
   tango.hi.collection // as in hello collections!
   tango.my.collection
   tango.of.collection
   tango.ye.collection // for that olde worlde feel!
   tango.on.collection
   tango.to.collection // dance on over to the collection department
   tango.up.collection
   tango.ez.collection

Or go with the "tango" theme and use a spanish word:
   tango.el.collection
   tango.la.collection
   tango.dela.collection
   tango.del.collection
   tango.del.tacos

Or maybe a less generic word than "group":
   tango.suite.collection
   tango.pkg.collection

But after all that, I like "api" best, because it's short and seems to
describe well what it does. You want to use the collections api with no
fuss? then tango.api.collection is for you!

--bb