fltk4d 0.4 released

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Sun Dec 30 17:50:12 PST 2007

Micke wrote:
> fltk4d is a wrapper for the FLTK gui library.
> http://dronten.googlepages.com/fltk4d

Nice!!

Any /actual/ user experiences?
Preferably from "unrelated users"? Anybody?

Like, was it easy to "get running", was it easy to try it out with your
own test case, would you recommend it to others (and if so, for
tinkering or for serious corporate programming, as in skipping Java or
.NET)?

The FLTK pages on Lua are awesome, and give an impression of trivially
easy usage and next to none overhead (as measured in programmer hours
wasted both to the learning curve and at actual work). How does this
compare to them?

---

Why am I asking? Well, recently I sold the possibly first serious
factory automation solution in D, and now I have been approached by a
party who want me to make a similar GUI app, but more complex.

I'd love to do it in D, but seeing this is a long-term project with a
(well)paying customer with long-term commitment in mind, I'm hard put to
not recommend me doing it in Delphi. (Comprehensive GUI library
(actually multi platform), RAD tools, long-term (historically proven!!)
commitment from the language vendor, obvious commitment to backwards
compatibility in new versions, amazing productivity with their source
editor, advanced debugging, two-way UML support, unit testing, and last
but not least: serious and long term commitment to programmers who've
invested in learning Their Way. In other words, (as opposed to Windows
or C(++), you don't have to forget half of what you know at each major
release) respect for the customer.

Sure, I could test fltk4d right now, (and all the other alternatives
too) for a coulpe of weeks each, but I'm on a tight schedule here for
the answer, and I trust other folks may have better insight than I could
gather in the given time.  :-(

---

PS, /technically/ this is the wrong forum for this kind of questions. My
appologies. OTOH, serious answers to this post would be more in the
spirit of this NG than d.D (or d.D.learn).