Tango 0.95 beta1 released

kris foo at bar.com
Thu Feb 1 02:15:21 PST 2007

Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>
>> C) Port while maintaining compatibility -- annoying the poor me who
>> has to deal with incompatibilities in the most basic functions (e.g.
>> toString, writefln)
>

> I too wonder why those were changed. Why not leave them be? What's so
> terrible about toString? It returns a string, doesn't it? Furthermore,
> there's no toUTF16, toUTF32, so what's the point?
>
> Seems like a change for the sake of being different.
>
> L.

Well, that's not entirely fair :)

You mention two specific areas:

1) writefln does not support the functionality we needed. It has no
support for either Locales, or for indexing the arguments themselves
(both for supporting I18N). We decided to go a different route, because
we beleive I18N is important enough to warrant some direct attention.
(locale is not quite fully enabled in this release, but it will be in
the next one).

It would be cool if you ported the writefln code though, as an external
option -- we can't expect I18N support to be to everyone's liking.

2) there's no toUtf16() and toUtf32()? This is not the case. Tango uses
those in a number of modules to do just what they indicate. There are
modules that expose all three ... in certain cases they're also
templated for the base type that you want stored within (e.g. store as
dchar, expose as all three types).

This really was a not an easy decision for us to take, as I'm sure you
can imagine.

Tango is what it is, and yet is open to change too. There's a /lot/ of
people involved as you can see on the site, and I do hope you'll give it
a good look?