Tango 0.95 beta1 released

Lionello Lunesu lio at lunesu.remove.com
Thu Feb 1 05:58:24 PST 2007

kris wrote:
> Lionello Lunesu wrote:
>> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
>>> C) Port while maintaining compatibility -- annoying the poor me who
>>> has to deal with incompatibilities in the most basic functions (e.g.
>>> toString, writefln)
>>

>> I too wonder why those were changed. Why not leave them be? What's so
>> terrible about toString? It returns a string, doesn't it? Furthermore,
>> there's no toUTF16, toUTF32, so what's the point?
>>
>> Seems like a change for the sake of being different.
>>
>> L.
>
> Well, that's not entirely fair :)
>
> You mention two specific areas:
>
> 1) writefln does not support the functionality we needed. It has no
> support for either Locales, or for indexing the arguments themselves
> (both for supporting I18N). We decided to go a different route, because
> we beleive I18N is important enough to warrant some direct attention.
> (locale is not quite fully enabled in this release, but it will be in
> the next one).

A noble cause, for sure, and I'm glad you did it. I just think that
porting from phobos should be a no-brainer.

> It would be cool if you ported the writefln code though, as an external
> option -- we can't expect I18N support to be to everyone's liking.

Maybe I will ;)

> 2) there's no toUtf16() and toUtf32()? This is not the case. Tango uses
> those in a number of modules to do just what they indicate. There are
> modules that expose all three ... in certain cases they're also
> templated for the base type that you want stored within (e.g. store as
> dchar, expose as all three types).

Obviously, I was talking about Object.toString. Changing Object creates
unnecessary incompatibilities.

> This really was a not an easy decision for us to take, as I'm sure you
> can imagine.
>
> Tango is what it is, and yet is open to change too. There's a /lot/ of
> people involved as you can see on the site, and I do hope you'll give it
> a good look?

I definitely will. I, like most people, have been waiting for a general
framework to appear and Tango is the best :) So far :)

Maybe my post was too harsh, I really appreciate the effort put in
Tango. D needs Tango.

L.