Tango 0.95 beta1 released

Kevin Bealer kevinbealer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 22:38:02 PST 2007

Chad J wrote:
> Is there any way I could make my programs that still use phobos compile
> again without uninstalling Tango?

I have my home directory set up to make this easy.  When I get a new D
compiler, I unzip it under ~/d/d.1.004 (or wherever).  Then I create
this symbolic link:

/home/me/d/current -> /home/me/d/d.1.004

Make the binaries executable, fix dmd.conf, and its ready to go.

The following links never change, they redirect everything through
"current":

/etc/dmd.conf -> /home/me/d/current/dmd/bin/dmd.conf
/usr/lib/libphobos.a -> /home/me/d/current/dmd/lib/libphobos.a
/home/me/bin/dmd -> /home/me/d/current/dmd/bin/dmd
/home/me/bin/rdmd -> /home/me/d/current/dmd/bin/rdmd
/home/me/bin/obj2asm -> /home/me/d/current/dmd/bin/obj2asm
/home/me/bin/dumpobj -> /home/me/d/current/dmd/bin/dumpobj

I can change the "current" symlink to get a particular version of D.

I imagine in Windows you could use rename instead of symbolic links to
achieve almost the same effect.  With a little more tweaking I could
switch D versions with an evironment variable.

Kevin