Rebuild 0.3 released

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Feb 8 05:23:01 PST 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Gregor Richards wrote:
>>
>>> Fixed some bugs introduced in rebuild 0.2, and also fixed support for
>>> 'version=' statements.
>>>
>>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsss/wiki/Rebuild
>>>
>>>  - Gregor Richards
>>

>> Two questions:
>>
>> Does rebuild support environment variables in a build file?  Like
>>    -I$(DMDDIR)/dmd/import
>>
>> Is there some way to read commands from build files other than the
>> '@file' syntax?  Like '-f filename' for example.
>>
>> --bb
>
> Rebuild does not, at present, support response files. I don't find them
> particularly useful, since simply making a .bat or .sh and putting
> 'rebuild' at the beginning suffices for a more powerful method with
> negligible learning curve.

Ok I guess I misunderstood the help message then.  What does this mean?

f:\>rebuild
ReBuild version 0.2 (based on DMD 1.005)
Copyright (c) 1999-2007 by Digital Mars and Gregor Richards, written by
Walter Bright and Gregor Richards
Documentation: www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html
Usage:
   rebuild files.d ... { -switch }
   files.d        D source files
   @cmdfile       read arguments from cmdfile

specifically the "@cmdfile" part.

> I suppose if there is demand, I will add support. My personal distaste
> for them shouldn't be the be-all end-all.

Well the problem with making a .bat or .sh is that it is platform
specific.  I don't care if it's a 'response file' or just some
configuration file in some other format that looks different from
command line options. But I do find the ability to put a build config in
a file to be very useful.  And I do find the @file syntax, where some
particular suffix is implied, to be kind of annoying, because tab
completion in most any shell completes whole filenames not partial ones.
  That's why I'd prefer a "-f filename" syntax.  *With* the space in
between -f and filename if possible.

--bb